Saturday, February 20, 2010

2009 in review

Ok, so last year ended up being a total bust. No tomatoes, save a few cherries that the kids ate right off the plant, a few carrots, and a few early cucumbers. That was about it. I think the problems were:
a) I did not get the fence door on soon enough and I think something got in there while we were out of town and mowed things down
b) our soil quality is horrible. Basically 100% red clay.
c) I also think that the plants I started from seed last year did not get far enough along because I started them in the garage where I bet the temps get down to 40 or 50 at night. Not freezing, but probably not warm enough.

So, this year, I think we can address those issues by getting the gate up sooner (duh), adding compost, and starting the seeds somewhere in the main part of the house where temps stay closer to 70. We've been composting for the last year and a half, but the amount of compost that you get is surprisingly small. I'm planning to by a few yards of compost from Panorama Pay Dirt this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment