Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend Update

Here is the latest from the garden.

Cucumbers never came in, so we broke down and bought a few from Kmart today that we just panted. Pitiful, I know . Mesclun is coming in pretty well - probably need to thin it. Lima beans are doing great. Thinned the carrots out this morning. Peppers are struggling - still only about an inch high. Tomatoes are doing better - especially beefsteak seem to be doing the best - they are about 6 inches high. Others are only 3-5 inches. Fertilized again yesterday. Been using an organic fertilizer for all applications so far, but decided today with the cucumber transplants to use some Osmocote that I had in the shed from prior years.

Weather: has not rained a ton this past week, so I watered 2 or 3 days. I used water from the rain barrel for one of those. Still need to hook the rain barrel up to the downspout, so I only had a few inches in there - whatever has rained in its open top. It got down to 33 degrees two mornings this week. That doesn't help I am sure.

Put the tomato cages in today. Also move the blueberry bush to the inside of the fence. Still haven't planted that thing! Also still need to come up with some kind of gate.

Click on any of the pictures to see a larger version.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment